Sixteen years ago today I became a mama. My well-thought- out birth plan was forgotten
as an emergency C-section ushered our boy into the world. My dreams of taking my baby home the next day
were replaced by 5 or 6 days of praying for a miracle, and another 5 days of
witnessing that miracle as our baby boy defied the doctors' expectations and
was discharged with a clean bill of health.
For 4 years we lived what felt like a charmed life, adding 2 more boys
to our family and living fully in the chaos 3 little boys insures. Then it all came crashing to a halt as
sickness entered our world.
Once again we were facing a VERY DIFFERENT reality than our
expectations had prepared us for. For a
year we fought the wrong disease, with poor results. Then our true enemy was exposed and we fought
cancer for another year. Timmy faced
each battle, each procedure, with a maturity and courage far beyond his years,
helping all of us to do the same. We
never dreamed he would have to leave us.
We just couldn't imagine life without him and didn't want to.
But we have now had to "celebrate" 11 birthdays without
the birthday boy here. It is such a mix
of joy and sadness. To celebrate his
amazing life while allowing ourselves to imagine who he would be today. He sure packed a lot into his (almost) six
years! 16 is such a milestone birthday,
and it is a hard one to process for this mama.
I watch Timmy's peers and I feel such pride and joy in who they are
becoming, and if I'm honest, jealousy that my son is not amongst them, leading
the band :-).
Who would he be? how tall? how blonde? how amazing on the
drums? would he really be driving? what aspirations and dreams? What passions and struggles?
Someday we will celebrate together again. And the future will look so bright and spread
out ahead of us and the “past”, the long journey we are now walking, will be as
the blink of an eye. We long for that
glorious day.
But today we celebrate you, Timmy, with a fancy lunch,
some Seahawks cheering, a homemade baseball cake (compliments of Micah) and
some family time with the new Peanuts movie.
We wish you were here, sweet boy of my heart. You would be so proud of your brothers. They all have pieces of you woven through
their personalities—the places you would have connected with them. It is a gift to me to see them, and they each
feel a little closer to you because of it.
You still lead the charge here, bud. Your baseball
passion remains unmatched (though barely). Your heart for worship inspires your brothers .
Your heart for Jesus challenges me and your dad. Your
silliness still makes us all smile. I can only imagine how incredible 16 year
old Timmy would be. Maybe we’d call you
Tim or Timothy a bit more, less Timmy.
That’d be okay. Someday I’ll hear
your voice say “Mama” again, and a sweeter day I cannot imagine.
My life today, as rich as it is, is SO not as I would have
planned. I would rewrite this story in a heartbeat if I was allowed. And I know I am not alone in this sentiment! But
somehow Jesus has sustained me. He has
healed me. Truly. We have marked 10 years (last month) and now
the 16th birthday. And the darkness
no longer has the power it once did. I
can say with a loud, though tearful, voice, that He has brought redemption to
the desolate places of my heart. And I
know Timmy, from his vantage point, is cheering us on as we learn to live more
deeply and vibrantly the lives we were created to live. We wish he were here in
the mix, with his deep thoughts and crazy ideas and passion for life. But until we meet up again, we’ll keep living
and loving and remembering the beautiful boy that changed the world he lived in
in under 6 years. It may seem a bit
backwards, but I want to live a life that makes my son proud.









10 comments:
In tears I remember the little boy who touched my heart. So sincere so sweet so passionate. Love to you Leah and to the family.
In tears I remember the little boy who touched my heart. So sincere so sweet so passionate. Love to you Leah and to the family.
I spend most of Tim's birthdays remembering how mature he was for his age. his silliness and his uniqueness. Amazing! Oh how he loved to play those drums.
How blessed we are knowing he's with Jesus,
Love to all!
Tim's
Grandma Rix
Love this beautiful tribute. Miss you so much, Tim.
Love this beautiful tribute. Miss you so much, Tim.
He is one boy we will never forget! Love you, Leela.
Sweet Timmy... my heart is warm w/memories of u...
Beautiful!ly said! I love you sweet friend!
Crying. So beautiful Leah. You are an amazing woman, and inspiration to me and many, your love and devotion to Jesus is encouraging and life giving. Thank you for sharing. Timmy was amazing. Happy birthday!
Wow! From your vulnerability, you've communicated a mother's unending love for her first-born son and testimony of the profound healing Father has brought to His beloved daughter. You are precious in His sight Leah! I am so blessed to know you my friend!
Post a Comment